Draughts game table – progression photos

Hi everyone! My latest UnicornPostbox blog post is progression photos of a draughts game table. Hope you like it! 😊

I started off by orbital sanding and measuring the table, as to know accurately where the squares would be later glued evenly. 64 squares in total that my mentor Dave cut, to which I hand sanded – I painted half black and half white. I wood stained the brim of the table and underneath and used a black metal paint for the stand. The next stage was one by one gluing the 4cm by 4cm squares on the table using wood glue. To finish, I sprayed some furniture lacquer to seal.

I am super proud of this project, I think it’s the best one I’ve done so far to be honest, not to blow my own trumpet like, haha 🤣

The draughts table is not for sale but to be used by children and adults to play draughts/chess upstairs in the charity cafe 🙂

My next project for the Children’s Air Ambulance is going to be a duck egg painted table with blue sky sparkly wallpaper. Originally it was a gold table nobody was keen on, then we bodged up putting an atlas map on it (went bubbly, not smooth) so third time lucky hopefully 🤞🤞

Thank you as ever for taking the time to read/view my latest UnicornPostbox blog post, very much appreciated.

Thank you, Lauren xx

© 2022 Lauren Parr/ https://unicornpostbox.com

Upcycled cafe table – 22 progression photos

Hi everyone, I’ve been a busy bee upcycling again for the Children’s Air Ambulance! My latest blog post is 22 progression photos of a rustic café table, hope you like!

I started off with a quick sand and sugar soap cleanse. Then, I used a spray primer for the leg and foot of the table, before spray painting silver. Next, wood staining the table… Well, it went a little wrong! I didn’t sand the table sufficiently and subsequently it went a tad blotchy and darker in some areas. I ended up having to start all over, scrape and sand thoroughly. I switched from a roller brush to a cloth for more even distribution. The finished result is more desirable, a rustic antique pine, only requiring a polyurethane varnish to strongly seal.

This isn’t my most impressive piece in my personal opinion. It was a bit of a chore and required some elbow grease to scrape/sand. I was happy when it was finished to be perfectly honest, haha.. Well, at least it was a learning curve.

Up next, upholstery! Yes, my very first go at upholstering a chair! Look out for it.

Many thanks, Lauren xx

© 2022 Lauren Parr / https://unicornpostbox.com